Thursday 23 January 2014

unfolding.

My thoughts lately have been this; perhaps life is like origami.

Before you question my sanity on the subject of life, let me explain.

I was recently reading a devotional that focused on the idea of trusting God for every moment and season of life, even the things that seem pointless. She says,

"obey and trust that He is working. His timing is rarely ours, but it is always perfect. Instead of chafing under the seemingly mundane embrace each task as a building block for the dreams in your heart. Don't give up hope." Amy Carroll

When I think about what desires and dreams I have for my own life, I seem to jump into a state of questioning my present circumstances, whispering things to myself (and others) like "if only I could hurry up and finish this degree...start this...finish that..." in a vicious cycle of wanting the future, in the present. I seem to become frustrated and anxious about the things that occupy me and my time in the present, when I am focusing so hard on the future and what my life could be.

Which brought me to think about the reason why every moment, action and experience, is part of the story God has written out for me in my life. And why I have to trust that.

I guess my life is unfolding, moment by moment, day by day...  or better yet, these experiences and moments and seasons, are folding and moulding my life into who God desires for me to be, and what He has ordained me to do in this life.

Perhaps life is like origami then. 

Every fold, every delicate crease that you make when you create a piece of origami, is important. Every gesture and creation of a shape is significant, leading to more creases and folds and finally producing a whole, a final creation. Life.

And the interesting thing is, when you look at the final creation- all you see is the refined paper creation. 

But having attempted origami myself, I know the steps that are involved, and the time and patience it takes to create that final creation.

And when you unfold the origami, looking at the once smooth paper, now creased and wrinkled all over, all those steps of folding, creasing, and even the mistakes, are revealed


What seems like such a final and whole creation, is in fact, made up of so many steps and processes that you come to appreciate the final paper shape more, knowing how it came to be.

And so, when you reflect on your life as a whole, from your past and where you are now in the present, think about all the folds, creases, and mistakes that have made up you. 

Every moment, every season, every experience is, and continues, to make you, you.

If you unfolded your life, what you would reveal is that all these little, (perhaps even mundane, pointless, hard, terrifying) experiences, actions and moments make up your life as whole. 

All these seasons have a purpose... to create the final, beautiful creation, which is you. 

Every tear, fear, worry, smile, and laugh... every person, place and experience is all a fold and crease in God's design for your life and purpose on this earth. 

And guess who is doing all that folding?

God. 

God is folding and moulding your life. Yes, you are the one living it day after day, in your feelings and decisions, but God is the ultimate Creator and He takes pride in His creation. He knows where your life is going, and what it will look like at the end. 

And that's why you have to trust in knowing that He is in control and He is creating you through every crease and fold. 













No comments:

Post a Comment